Nice and spicy, but not real sweet
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup grade b maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons fresh ginger finely grated
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup instant grain coffee ground
1/4 cup dried currants
1/2 cup apple juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or brush with oil.
- Mix dry ingredients, excluding the grain "coffee" powder.
- MIx the wet ingredients together, along with the "coffee" granules, and heat until the "coffee" granules are dissolved.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Mix well and shape dough into a cohesive ball.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness between two sheets of waxed paper. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters. Trasfer to baking sheets and press currants in place for eyes, nose, mouth and buttons.
- Bake cookies until golden on the bottom, 10 minutes.
- Makes 1 1/2 Dozen Cookies